Tuesday, January 15, 2008

3 Hours?

Have you ever asked your parents how long their Dr.'s appointments are? One day I was talking to my mother in law and asked her how her appointment was and she stated that the Dr. was behind 3 hours, so she waited. She said it was a constant problem.

She probably didn't tell me that she was 20 mins late. I would scratch my head and ask why?Didn't you tell them that you were waiting? Did they forget about you? Question after question, we asked them to change because the Dr.'s office was too far away for the long waits. Well now that I have had an experience I can put the puzzle piece together.

Situation -
I called to make a follow up appointment from an emergency room visit. At 10:45 I called the office to schedule and they said you can come today at 11:15 or tomorrow at 9:00am. I said well I know that we can not make it in 30 minutes, we will come tomorrow at 9:00am. My husband got to the office and told him he was late by 18 mins and the Dr. now would have to fit them in at her convenience any where from 30 minutes to 2 hours. My husband called asking why I gave him the wrong time. Well I knew that it was not the wrong time because I have a book that I had written the 2 times down. The office had imputted it incorrectly. I called and spoke to an extremely rude nurse that didnt care if the 81 year old waited 24 hours. I asked to speak to the office manager and she said it was the Dr.'s decision. I told her to put the Dr. on the phone and next thing I knew he was being called in.

Is it right to let an 81 year old sit in the waiting room for 2 hours?

It is one thing if they are late but they are 80 and maybe they should build in a cushion for lateness. At 30 something I push it to be on time.

So at the end of the day if you hear that your parents or grandparents are waiting at the Dr.'s for a crazy amount of time. Take Charge!!!!!! Remember when you were little and sick who was your biggest advocate?

No comments: